Plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters install and repair piping fixtures and systems.
- Cut and join pipe
- Install, repair, and maintain plumbing systems
- Install and repair waste disposal and drainage systems
- Install and repair fixtures like showers, diverters, sinks, faucets and toilets
- Install and repair appliances like dishwashers, garbage disposals, and water heaters
- Troubleshoot malfunctioning systems
- Inspect and test installed pipe systems and pipelines
- Use green building techniques to conserve water and energy resources
Demands of the Job
The plumbing trade is one of the largest in the building industry. Plumbers work indoors and out, sometimes in wet and damp areas. Using heavy and rough material, the work is physically demanding with bending, lifting, kneeling, and standing for long periods. If you like physical work and have an eye for detail, plumbing may be the trade for you.